Wednesday, September 17, 2008

The Lets-Not-Meet-At-A-Funeral Party

Recently, my Great Uncle Nick passed away. My sister and I went to the funeral together, and we had the best time! Is that weird? We saw so many cousins that we haven't seen since the last family funeral. We decided to plan a party and get together on a happier occasion. We are descended from Yugoslavian immigrants. "Bohunk" is an ethnic slur referring to someone of slavic descent. We had these t-shirts made up, and every one wore them, didn't they turn out great?
This is me and my second cousin Billy Brown. He is one of my favorite people on the planet, so funny, and so kind. I kind of think my dad would be a lot like him if he wasn't so cranky.
The people in the middle are Manda and Ivan Matievich, my Great Grandparents. Ivan owned a meat store in Murray when he moved here, apparently a swanky job. Check out that suit! We had lots of old family pics like this at our party. It was a wonderful treat. I love old pictures so much.
Posted by Picasa

6 comments:

Erica said...

Great idea for a party! Some of my best friends are my cousins! And I so LOVE old photos, too :o) P.S. You look great, BTW!

Jenifer said...

How fun! I love the shirts;) My mom's aunt passed away about 2 years ago and she had a blast seeing cousins she hadn't seen in decades. Way to go getting together for a happy occasion!

tren said...

That's really cool. I love the old picture. It's so nice to get together, but it often seems like funerals are what does it.

Stacy said...

Didn't we have the greatest time! Johnny wore his t-shirt to school and explained Bohunk to everyone. I heard cousin Kathy explain to her son that Bohunk was a term used to describe a good-looking person of Slavic background. I think it turned into something negative just recently. I like the good-looking definition better. Thanks for helping make the party happen.
Love you!

Kim said...

What a great idea!! We noticed the same thing at my mom 's funeral...we saw so much family and friends that we hadn't seen for so long. The problem was we didn't have the time I'd energy to realize get to visit. I'm all for a good party when you're really in the mood for it!

Crazymamaof6 said...

awesome party!

i agree funerals are so fun! we all have the eternal perspective to not be Too sad. and never take time to get together. so it happens to be really fun when you actually do get together. i think funerals are awesome. not that i like when people die, but i like to go celebrate the lives of the people that pass on, and see people i never get to. all the distant cousins, old friends etc.

love the shirts!